or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cubism

Yesterday I tried to make a cube cake. It was intended to be a baby block cake for the Hays (they had a baby boy last Saturday). It didn't go so well. Instead of baking a cake, I decided to save some time and buy a pound cake. That part at least turned out awesome. It was so easy to carve and pound cake is always delicious. I was shooting for a 3.5" cube but I underestimated how thin the filling layer would be, so the cube ended up a little squat. I covered it with tub icing and tried to put on a layer of fondant.


I really don't understand how you get fondant on without having pleats on the side! I've been watching Ace of Cakes and it looks so easy when they do it. I've been reading cake decorating books and they don't say anything about how to not f*@& it up!


I think I did better than the last time I covered a cake with fondant, but not by much. In the end, I decided decorating it like a baby block would take a lot more time than I wanted to spend. We bought them some Huggies baby wipes instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners