or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cake Dividing Wheel: Review

Though not as cool as it sounds, the Wilton Cake Dividing Wheel is pretty handy.
Measures equal sections of your cake for precise placement of garlands, stringwork and other designs. Cake Dividing Wheel marks up to 16 divisions on cakes up to 20 in. diameter. Garland Marker adjusts to 7 widths. Instructions included.
This was included in my Wilton Course 3 Student Kit.  I assumed we'd use it for measuring decoration placement, but instead we used it for fondant.

Coat the wheel with a thin layer of shortening.  You can roll your fondant directly on to it.  Roll out until you reach the measurement that your cake needs (e.g. if it's a 10" x 4" round, roll to the 18" mark).  When your done, pick up the wheel (the fondant will stick to it) and lay it across your cake.  Peel the wheel away and BAM ... fondant covered cake.  This is MUCH easier than repeatedly powdering a smooth surface and fondant.  Since the fondant sticks to the mat, you don't have to drape the fondant on a rolling pin or quickly transfer it to your cake.  Take your time!

Mine came all folded up with creases.  My Wilton instructor suggested throwing it in the dryer for a few minutes.  I actually just rolled it up along with my long fondant rolling pin and taped it (I had no idea how else to stow and store it anyway).  That got rid of all the wrinkles.

It is a little unwieldy, especially when you've got a lot of fondant stuck to it.  Practice makes perfect, I guess.  Now, I don't know if this is a problem with rolling out fondant with this method or if it's a problem with MMF ... but these past few times I've been doing this, I'm ending up with not so smooth fondant.  There are little holes and imperfections that I can't really smooth out after I put it on the cake.  I'm not sure if I rolling out on a cornstarched surface would alleviate this.  I'll have to try it and let you know.

Maybe one day I'll use it for what the description says it's for!

Oh, speaking of cake dividing, I found this ridiculous thing at Bed, Bath, & Beyond:


Deni® LED Cake Tray
What's fair is fair. You just input the number of slices of cake you want to cut and LED lights around this equity-oriented cake tray illuminates the exact spots where you should cut, so each piece is evenly cut and nobody but nobody gets a bigger piece than anyone else. The tray will even play "Happy Birthday" (with volume control!) to the guest of honor. So let the party begin - with equality for all. Requires 2 AA batteries, not included. Measures 15 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 21 1/4". Spot clean only. One-year warranty.
Really?  You need an LED lit tray to help you cut cake?  I'm skeptical.  Maybe this thing is totally awesome.  Someone let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners