or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cake Balls: Completed with Badge

Cake Balls I'm actually proud of!
(+5 skill points -> 175/400)



After Halloween, no one wanted to take any cake home with them.  I was stuck with 2/3rds of a cauldron cake!  I also had a lot of left over red velvet cake from the Dragon Age Congratulations cake.  Cake balls is the best way to get rid of scraps.  I learned that I can use my Oxo Good Grips Dough Blender for crumbling the cake and mixing in the icing ... which is awesome because I had yet to use that thing for anything else!



Unfortunately I don't have any photos of what happened to the cauldron cake.  Those cake balls got dipped in Wilton's red candy melts.  My husband loved those!  I don't own a double boiler, but I wanted to try using my little crock pot to heat the candy melts.  I've used it before for chocolate fondue.  It actually worked well, I think.  The bad thing was that the candy melts were so thick!  The cake barely survived being dipped in it.  I even added a lot of shortening and vegetable oil to make it thinner, but I'm not sure how much that helped.

The chocolate was the complete opposite.  It was the oiled chocolate fountain chocolate I used before in my first cake ball attempt.  The red velvet cake was dipped in this, but never "set" (see photo above).

I thought both tasted yummy!  When I took them to work, I called them "Tainted Darkspawn Blood Drops" (from the Dragon Age video game).  It was a hit!  Here are some of the responses I got:
Wow Chris,
The tainted darkspawn blood drops are sooo good!
^_^ Thanks,
- James
holy cow those blood balls rock 
excellent job chris
- Stacy
The chocolate ones are on the top ten list of best things on the planet! I think it helped that they didn't set. :)
- Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners