or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Monday, February 8, 2010

Practicing on a Dummy

Practicing on a Dummy


I practiced decorating a 10"x4" styrofoam round dummy cake.  It was iced with IndyDebi's buttercream with royal icing piped on to it.  I tried out several different designs ... now my arm and wrist are dying.  I've never really piped all that much besides simple borders.  I definitely need more practice.  A dollop of corn syrup was added to the royal icing which seemed to help with the consistency.  All this was done with Wilton tip #3.  Which do you like best?

curly C's

cornelli lace

curly S's and drop strings

um ... cage thingie and basket weave

dots and swirly border

hearts and other swirly border

... MORE DOTS!

I like the cornelli lace because it's mostly continuous.  
You don't see many points where the tip was picked up.
This would look better with a smaller tip.

I like these swirls because they're a little more interesting.
It wasn't until later that I realized I could avoid the ugly peaks if I drew the swirls in reverse (inner to outer).

2 comments:

  1. wow nice! nice practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. everytime i start to ice a cake with homemade butter creams, they start out great, bu then they start getting arm from my hand and coming out not so mice, even after i try freezing it to stiffen it up, the icing is just not the same as when i first started. ive tried with various recipes. ive tried store bought icings, they seem to have a nice consistency but, id like to use my own buttercream. has this happend to you? any suggestions? kiara_johnson@hotmail.com (please post buttercream reply or something similar as header or i might accidentally delete it):) t.y

    ReplyDelete

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners