or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Chocolate Clay Basket: Schooled

"Chocolate Clay Basket"
taught by Sallia
All In One Bake Shop

(+5 skill points => 300/400)


My local cake supply store offers a variety of different classes in addition to the regular Wilton courses.  Check out the All In One Bake Shop's class information here.  This evening I attended the "Chocolate Clay Basket" class taught by Sallia.  This class was from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm and all supplies were included in the $45 course fee.  Tonight there were 6 students (including myself) learning how to make and work with modeling chocolate (a.k.a. "chocolate clay").  Together we learned how to weave a festive Easter basket and filled our very own with goodies.

I was technically the last to finish my basket.  One lady didn't get to complete hers all the way.  I don't even understand why it took me so long.  Unfortunately I had to rush it to even make it to the end.  It's not pretty, but it was a good learning experience.


Honestly, I'm exhausted.  I've been working a lot lately and now my arms are tired from rolling chocolate "snakes" for 2 hours.  In the end, this was a nice opportunity to get to know modeling chocolate and receive more education on cake decorating.  I look forward to signing up for more classes in the future.


We received a recipe and worked with modeling chocolate made from A'Peels Chocolate (by Guittard Chocolate Company) and corn syrup.  It tastes like chocolate with the consistency of a tootsie roll.  It doesn't taste bad at all, but I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to eat much of this basket.


The base of the basket is solid chocolate.  The ribs are lollipop sticks covered in chocolate.  The modeling chocolate "snakes" were weaved over and under the ribs.


Modeling chocolate is strange to work with, a medium unlike any other.  You can easily under-kneed or over-kneed it.  Our work area got very messy and greasy.  For a few minutes I thought I had the hang of it, but the next moment it started to all come apart again.


At some point I'll try making my own modeling chocolate.  For now, I'm going to go to bed!  I'll eat these goodies later.


Bonus:  I tried making a rose while we were waiting for our bases to set.  This technique I learned from Toba Garrett's book A Well Decorated Cake.

2 comments:

  1. I have made modeling chocolate and it's not that difficult, but I made the mistake of refrigerating it, which then made it that much harder to get to a workable temp when I was ready to use it.

    Love the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you make it just mix it to the point where it comes together, then stop. If it's too stiff you can microwave it for 5 seconds at a time to soften it up, but watch out because too much heat will make it separate!

    ReplyDelete

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners