or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TMNT and the Secret of the Oozing Buttercream

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
and the Secret of the Oozing Buttercream


Event: "That Takes The Cake" 2011
7th Annual Sugar Art Show & Cake Competition (Austin, TX)
BUT I DIDN'T ACTUALLY SUBMIT THIS CAKE
Division: Adult Intermediate
Style: Buttercream Only
Media: styrofoam dummy, Wilton buttercream

So I was too embarrassed to enter this cake into the show.  I felt fantastic about it when I finished it ... but that was over a week ago.  When I brought the cake out before the show, I saw how the colors had bled and the whole thing didn't look as bright as it used to.  I just looked at it again to take pictures and you know what?  I should have just submitted the damn thing.  It's not a train wreck.  Know what else?  I would have grabbed an easy 3rd place!  There were only 2 cakes in my division for that category.  Oh well, maybe next year ;)

4 comments:

  1. WHAT?! I can't see a thing wrong with it! (But I have to admit I completely understand the second-guessing.) I hope you feel better in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing!! and thank you soooo much for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I ask how you did the image? It is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This technique is called "frozen buttercream transfer". Here is another post I did that sort of describes the process, but there are plenty of tutorials on the internet if I didn't explain enough!

      http://cakeoricandothat.blogspot.com/search/label/frozen%20buttercream%20transfer

      Delete

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners